- Runoff: Water is wasted because it is applied too quickly and the soil cannot absorb it. Sandy soils accept water more quickly than clay soils and dry soil accepts water more quickly than the moist soil.
- Frequency. Irrigating once deeply is better than irrigating twice or three times shallowly.
- Municipal Water Systems: To save money, install an irrigation water meter. Sewer usage usually involves no fees since the water is not returned to the municipal sewer system.
- Sprinkler heads: Place each head so that its stream of water actually touches the next sprinkler (or is within one to two feet of touching). The overlap ensures good, uniform coverage.
- Timers: Operate a sprinkler automatically, reducing the possibilities of over watering and the number of staff hours to the task