CHECKLIST: REPORTING A LOST
- Call emergency personnel for assistance
- Report a crime to the police, and let them take any necessary statements for the police report
- Obtain the names and addresses of people involved and any witnesses. Write down the name everyone you see at the site of the loss in case you need to contact them later. Capture who, what, where, how, why.
- Make any temporary repairs to protect the property from further damage or people from additional injuries. Several restoration companies exist that can handle any form of safeguards 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year.
- Have authorized representative as specifically designated by Management Company call the insurance company. Check policy for requirements about reporting a loss. Some policies have time limits to file claims.
- Do not discuss the incident with anyone other than your insurance representative or attorney.