CHECKLIST: ENERGY RESERVATION AND STRATEGIES-LIGHTING
- Employ daylight harvesting (taking advantage of free natural lighting) and combine with automatic photo sensing controls that shut lights off when daylight is at pre-set levels.
EQUIPMENT AND TECHNOLOGY
- Replace T12 fluorescent bulbs with T8 or T5 (use an electronic, more efficient ballast instead of a magnetic ballast)
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent lights (CFLs), which use 75% less energy, produce 75% less heat, and last 10x longer
- Install occupancy sensors and timers to turn lights off in spaces that are unoccupied such as conference rooms, offices, and restrooms
- Install light-emitting diode (LED) exit signs instead of fluorescent or incandescent light blubs
- De-lamp, or remove unnecessary lamps; disconnect unused ballasts; install lower-wattage lamps or use partial lighting.